Two men charged after Just Stop Oil yobs invaded Twickenham’s Premiership rugby final with smoke bombs


A PAIR of men have been charged in connection with the Just Stop Oil protest at yesterday’s Gallagher Premiership final at Twickenham.

Saracens and Sale Sharks were engaged in a tight battle, with the scores tied at 6-6, when activists stormed the field.

PACops have charged two men after Just Stop Oil activists disrupted the Gallagher Premiership final yesterday[/caption]

PAThe protest left players in a cloud of orange powder[/caption]

GettyThe men were escorted from the pitch by security and Sale Sharks star Tom Curry[/caption]

The eco-zealots let off smoke bombs and flares and threw orange powder over the pitch, a tactic that has become their hallmark.

Now, the Metropolitan Police have confirmed that Samuel Johnson, 40, and Patrick Hart, 37, have been charged with aggravated trespass and criminal damage in connection with the incident.

The protest led to a brief suspension of play while the men were escorted off the turf by security, helped by Sale star Tom Curry, as boos rang out from supporters.

Fans took to social media to share their anger at the group, with one writing: “The worst place to protest is Twickenham, on prem final day, in front of 60+ thousand drunk rugby fans. Well done. Got exactly nowhere.”

Another complained: “The most ineffective protest of all time. Not sure what they thought a bit of orange dust would do to a rugby game.”

A third added: “There are plenty ways to peacefully protest rather than running onto a rugby pitch mid-game at a family event.”

The Met added that both men have been remanded in custody and will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates Court tomorrow.

Guest posting agency=

Command Kyle Gordon said: “To date we have seen 102 slow marches across London by Just Stop Oil that has caused serious disruption and frustration to those going about their business in the city leading to 51 arrests to date.

“Similarly, yesterday’s incident at the rugby final will have caused frustration to both the players and spectators alike.

“With many other events taking place, and visitors in our capital this weekend, we will continue to monitor and respond to such incidents quickly.

Where protest moves into criminality or serious disruption, we will take robust action to ensure Londoners and visitors alike can continue to enjoy their Bank Holiday weekend.”

After the resumption of play viewers were treated to a stunning final, with the lead changing hands several times before tries by Elliot Daly and Ivan Van Zyl put Saracens out of reach.

The North London club came out victors by 35-25, claiming their sixth title and their first since the 2018-19 season.

For Sale, it was a devastating loss after leading with just 20 minutes to go as they sought to add to their only league win, which they claimed in 2006.

PASamuel Johnson, 40, and Patrick Hart, 37, have been charged with aggravated trespass and criminal damage[/caption]

Guest posting agency=

GettyThe pair are set to appear in court tomorrow[/caption]

ReutersSaracens went on to claim their sixth Premiership title after play resumed[/caption]

Leave a Reply

Follow by Email