Nottingham Forest 1 Bristol City 1 (5-3 pens) Hosts seal FA Cup clash with Man Utd thanks to ex-Arsenal ace Turner


TAIWO AWONIYI held his nerve to squeeze home the winning penalty as Forest edged out the Robins in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

But it was Matt Turner who was the star-spangled stopper who came to his side’s rescue to set up a fifth-round visit from Manchester United.

GettyMatt Turner makes his decisive shootout save from Sam Bell[/caption]

RexUnder-pressure keeper Turner was Forest’s saviour[/caption]

Taiwo Awoniyi celebrates with fellow shootout hero Matt TurnerGetty

GettyBristol City’s gutted players react to defeat[/caption]

The USA star’s stunning spot-kick save from Sam Bell was enough for Forest to come out on top as he dived to his left to push the ball to safety.

It was a timely reminder to boss Nuno Espirito Santo about Turner’s quality after he signed Belgian keeper Matz Sels from Salzburg during the January transfer window.

Having knocked out West Ham in the third round, the Robins were attempting to eliminate more than one top-flight team for the first time in more than a century.

However, their chances of creating history suffered an early blow as Forest sped in front.

Santo’s men were on it from the start and skipper Morgan Gibbs-White brought out the best in City No1 Max O’Leary with a rocket of a shot that was saved low to his right.

Anthony Elanga then had an effort deflected over for a corner which the visitors failed to defend.

Gibbs-White delivered a laser-sharp cross which Felipe rose to head goalwards and the ball appeared to deflect off Divock Origi at the front post to leave O’Leary helpless.

Felipe’s acrobatic front flip suggested the defender thought he had scored but it was Origi who took the credit – following a VAR handball check – for his helpful nudge of the ball over the line.


It was Origi’s first Forest goal and ironically he wouldn’t have been around to score it if Chris Wood hadn’t tweaked his hamstring against Arsenal.

Forest were on the brink of flogging the former Liverpool striker to the MLS where a few clubs, led by Los Angeles FC were ready to take him off their hands.

Sports betting and Casino=

But fate had handed the 28-year-old Belgian a second chance and he made the most of it.

However, Forest have been particularly flaky this season and they failed to press home their advantage.

Undeterred by the loss of that early goal, City hit back six minutes later.

Former Leicester midfielder Andy King was given way too much time and space by Forest’s retreating back three and let fly from 25 yards.

Turner threw himself across to his left and managed to fingertip the ball which flew off both posts.

However Forest’s reprieve was short-lived as Bell pounced on the loose ball and squared for Jason Knight to steer the ball home from seven yards.

It was a particularly sweet moment for the former Derby County favourite to score at the home of his former bitter rivals.

He almost doubled his tally with a snapshot which was deflected for a corner before Turner pushed away an Anis Mehmet effort.

RexDivock Origi scrambled Nottingham Forest into an eighth-minute lead[/caption]

RexTurner couldn’t keep out City’s equaliser from Jason Knight[/caption]

Forest seemed happy to make it to half-time on level terms and continued to make heavy weather of dealing with their Championship opponents after the break.

Robins’ head coach Liam Manning made a triple substitution on the hour with Matty James, Harry Cornick and George Tanner replacing King, goalscorer Knight and Haydon Roberts.

And Forest fans were soon given a rare chance to cheer as Nuno sent on cult hero Awoniyi and Callum Hudson-Odoi for Cheikhou Kouyate and Elanga a few minutes later.

Suddenly Forest had some purpose to their play and Origi flashed a 25 yarder wide after Awoniyi set him up.

Sports betting and Casino=

Gibbs-White and Montiel also tried their luck from long-range with no success as Forest pinned City back.

At least sub Nuno Tavares hit the target with a rifled volley which O’Leary beat away before Neco Williams flashed a shot inches wide as the tie spilled into extra-time.

Mehmeti and Bell had attempts saved by Turner as the Robins rallied and Nahki Wells was blocked on the line by Moussa Niakhate as he tried to force home Bell’s low cross.

But when Cornick flashed a last-gasp shot wide the tie was destined to be decided by penalties – with the second-tier side losing out.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email