Football fan who ran onto pitch to punch Jack Grealish found dead


A FOOTBALL fan who was jailed for running onto a pitch and punching Jack Grealish has been found dead.

Paul Mitchell, 32, was discovered at an address in Birmingham earlier this week and has been described by family as having “the kindest heart”.

Caters News AgencyPaul Mitchell has been found dead[/caption]

Paul punched Jack Grealish on the pitch in 2019

Friends paying tribute on social media called the dad-of-three a “great lad”.

Mum Debbie Drew said she was heartbroken, adding: “Our family loved him so much.”

Cousin Lucy Mitchell told The Sun: “Paul absolutely adored his three children.

“He always had a smile on his face no matter what. He had the kindest heart. He is sadly going to be missed by a lot of people.

“He was a very popular man. It won’t be the same without him here anymore.”

She added that he seemed his “happy normal self” when others saw him on Saturday.

Birmingham City fan Paul was arrested after running onto the pitch at St Andrew’s stadium during a derby game against Aston Villa in March 2019.

He charged into then-Villa captain Grealish and punched him before officials wrestled him off the pitch.

He was jailed for 14 weeks but was let out after just four.

The Championship game had not even reached the 10-minute mark when England star Grealish was assaulted.

Players from both teams as well as a steward then ran towards the yob and managed to get him off the pitch.

Speaking about the attack after the game, Grealish said: “I was just unaware at the time.

“I think we had a corner or a throw-in and I was walking into position and I just felt a whack around the side of the face.

“There’s rivalry in football but I don’t think there is any place for that really.”

And Mitchell said his time in prison was “the best month of my life”.

He added: “It was hard being away from my family but everything was good.”

When asked whether he regretted his actions, he said: “I’m not prepared to discuss that. I’m not apologising for nothing.”

Last year he was sent to jail again for ignoring a ten-year football ban.

PA:Press Association/PA ImagesMitchell was escorted off the pitch after the attack[/caption]

PA:Press AssociationHe was jailed for 14-weeks but was let out after four[/caption]

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email