Real Madrid’s defensive line has suffered a major setback ahead of the club’s UEFA Champions League semi-final tie with Manchester City next week Tuesday, Naija News understands.
Reports on Thursday confirmed that David Alaba will miss out on Madrid’s next game against Pep Guardiola’s men.
The 29-year-old was said to have sustained a hamstring injury against Osasuna in a LaLiga tie on Wednesday night.
Naija News understands that the Austrian football star picked up the injury in the latter stages of the 3-1 victory against Osasuna at El Sadar.
Speaking on Alaba after the game, Real Madrid coach, Carlo Ancelotti, said his team are “optimistic over the situation, claiming that he substituted the former Bayern Munich star during the encounter against Osasuna as a precaution”.
“We are optimistic with Alaba,” Ancelotti told reporters at his post-match press conference.
“He had a strain, so we took him off as a precaution,” he added.
Alaba has made 44 appearances in all competitions for Real Madrid so far this season, scoring three goals and registering four assists.
Meanwhile, Manchester United on Thursday confirmed the appointment of Dutchman, Erik Ten Hag as the new manager of the club.
The English Premier League revealed Ten Hag would complete the current season with Ajax and join the Red Devils in the summer as a permanent replacement for Ralf Rangnick.
The confirmation comes a few days after Naija News reported the club had reached a verbal agreement with Erik ten Hag to become their next permanent manager.
The appointment has now been confirmed in a statement released on the club website by United’s Football Director, John Murtough.
He stated that Ten Hag signed with the club until June 2025 with an option of another year.
On why they opted for Ten Hag, the club statement said they have observed his attractive style of football and commitment to youth, adding that they were impressed with his long-term vision for the club.
This article was originally published on Nigeria News