Former Arsenal player, Paul Merson has suggested that Portugal star, Cristiano Ronaldo should be dropped from Manchester United’s first eleven.
According to Merson, Uruguayan professional footballer, Edinson Cavani would be better than Ronaldo playing alongside the likes of Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford, and Mason Greenwood in Man United’s attack line.
The former Gunners urged Manchester United interim manager, Ralf Rangnick, to drop the Ballon d’Or winner from his squad, Naija News reports.
Speaking further at an interview with Sportskeeda, Merson said that Man United would not finish in the top four in the ongoing Premier League campaign.
“They [Man United] will beat Burnley and Wolves and people will say their manager is unreal and all that, but based on what I have seen so far, I don’t see them finishing in the top four,” Merson said.
He added: “Manchester United are a long way off now and if they somehow manage to get to fourth, it will be a great season for them.
“In terms of their team, I strongly believe Cristiano Ronaldo should be left out of the team. It won’t happen, but Edinson Cavani should take his place upfront with the likes of Jadon Sancho, Marcus Rashford and Mason Greenwood in contention to play on the wings.”
Meanwhile, Napoli striker, Victor Osimhen and Watford forward, Emmanuel Dennis, have been dropped by the Nigeria Football Federation from the 28-man list for the Africa Cup of Nations starting in Cameroon next weekend.
NFF in a statement released on Friday disclosed that Osimhen was removed from the list after he tested positive to COVID-19 a few days ago.
The removal of Osimhen from the list has now given a chance for Henry Onyekuru who was part of the team at the last AFCON in Egypt, Naija News reports.
This article was originally published on Naija News